Sunday, January 29, 2012

Professional development...not so professional poetry...

This weekend I attended the Association of German International Schools (AGIS) Conference in Hanover, Germany. It was a lot of fun getting to meet more of my colleagues and making connections with teachers around Germany in the other international schools. We had a lot of great professional and not-so-professional conversations and laughed all weekend.

My friend (and teacher twin), Lauren, and I presented about using critical thinking strategies in formative and summative assessment. In went well and we were even given an offer to present for a technology company's annual meeting in September in Berlin! WAHOO!

On Saturday night, they had a dinner for everyone and then asked each person or group of people, to write a little something about the AGIS conference for the 10th anniversary of the organization. They suggested limericks or haikus. Well, to be honest, the minute I hear the word limerick, I think of...

There once was a girl from Nantucket....


So, I wrote it down as our first line and as you'll see, our poem just degenerated from there. The organizers read it out to the whole conference and as we had "anonymously" submitted it, we weren't too known for the composition except by our own ISD colleagues!


None of this is actually true...by the way.
**I must quickly explain that my Nana used to work at a really fancy restaurant and people would come in and order Merlot and pronounce is as Mer-lett or Mer-LOTT. I had just told Lauren this story on the train to Hanover and she busted out the word Mer-LOTT to rhyme with A LOT!...this is similar to calling Filet Mignon as Fill-lett Mig-Nann.***

No comments: