Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Alternate universe?

July 15- Arrival in Hyderabad

Today we arrived in Hyderabad (pronounced Hydra-bod) and it is like a different universe from Kolkata. I feel like I am on a different planet. First of all, the climate is completely different. Flying into Kolkata, you see water everywhere and lush, green landscapes. Here in Hyderabad, everything is brown. It kind of looks like Southern Cali around San Diego and that is a stark contrast to Kolkata. Secondly, there is a TON of new development and construction here and I just had dinner in a “mall” which could have seriously been about anywhere in the US. So weird!

After Kolkata, this feels like an alternate universe. Now, I will say that we are in a newer part of town here where our hotel is because it is a new-ish hotel. The weird part too is that there are SO many more Westerners here. At the restaurant where we had dinner, there was a table of like 20 just out of college aged guys who were here to teach people at call centers American accents! Isn’t that crazy? I didn’t even know that existed as a job and here before me sit like 20 guys from Arkansas and Oklahoma. It was really surreal!

I must also mention another aspect of the luxury hotel…they have a pillow menu! Have you ever heard of such a thing? I ordered the one called “tranquility” and this little pillow full of good smelling stuff comes right up to your room on a tray. This is all included in your hotel bill at no extra cost. It is kind of unreal! So, once I have explored Hyderabad a little more, I will write again, but just wanted to let everyone know that I have made it here and am suddenly on Mars!

PS- I saw a shirt in a mall store that was exactly like Forever 21 or Charlotte Russe that said, “You think your teacher is hard? Just wait until you have a boss!” I love it!

1 comment:

Mrs. Ramsay said...

Wow - I never imagined a school in India in this way!